March 23
I begin to speak green tea bread.
I begin to speak barley tea.
I begin to speak hello in Korean convincingly on the telephone to awoman who dials a wrong number. She is equally convinced I must know more Korean.
I begin to speak "yong-al-dur, ha sha sui snika?" "Annew, ha-jee-man adul-tile hash she neyo." "Annew, tile buteho." "!#$%&??..." "Modor ges soyo." "Ah, cho seminda." Click.
I begin to speak a translation of what I just said to the wrong number caller. Even to stay inside, full of jetlag, sleepiness, minus the 7++ cups of green barley tea and packets of instant kopee (coffee) with varying levels of sugar (yes, one can choose) printed on teh package, I am called.
I speak a call to the call of Ilsanders by showering in my Korean bathhouse, an absence of bathtub.
I begin to speak to soju na mekchu-yo, though I haven't yet tasted either yo-gee,
I begin to speak yougurt box drinks
I begin to speak bottled water to conserve, to avoid hard chemicals in the tap, today it is Jeju, San Da Song,
I begin to speak Korean television commercials that break into the very domestic and traditional and metro-sexy,
I begin to speak the option of having your noodles scissored for you,
I begin to speak my shoes off in my aprtment,
I begin to speak of 5am awakenings,
I begin to speak fo my hello kitty alarm clock that is blue,
I begin to speak the Koreapolyschool language,
I begin to speak my Korean students' rhythm and behavior, one tells me that: "If you eat a flower your stomach will hurt, but then you will grow strong; my mom said so--for real!"
I begin to speak it is not a foreign place. I find myself split second wishing it more foreign for me, but it is quick and fleeting. I will find it very foreign in my loneliness soon enough. I must eat more than fruit for dinner. I must find a new friend to eat out with as is the Korean social custom. Wanted: You teach me Korean, I teach you English and we take each other out for kimchi and soju,
I speak of enjoying the morning calm,
I speak of the onslaught of the cherry blossom festival,
I begin to speak what I do not know.
I enter foreigner slowly.
No comments:
Post a Comment